Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cakes Inspired by Kitchen Stuff

I love making food-related cakes, like the hamburger cake.  Here's some more cakes fun cakes inspired by items in the kitchen.

"Rice is ready" as my mom said when I presented her with this cake.  I made this for her birthday the other week - Happy 47th Birthday (again) Mom!  It was banana sour cream cake with vanilla swiss meringue buttercream.  Everything is edible and items are made out of sugarpaste.
Here is a view from the top.  For some cakes, I really like to spend extra time on the cake boards.  I think it can really dress up the cake presentation.
A two-tier cake I made for a party for some staff members at Calphalon Culinary Center in Toronto.  This one was very fun to make!
Hope you enjoyed this weeks post!  Have a wonderful week and long weekend!

14 comments:

Jenniffer said...

Wow! That looks just like my rice cooker! And you are exactly right about the cake boards, and that's an area where I need to improve. I'm always so impressed by your work!

Unknown said...

Yeah, so where are the cakes? LOL. No, really. If you didn't know those were cakes to begin with you probably wouldn't give them much thought. But they ARE cakes and they are SPECTACULAR! I am in awe~
Renee @kudoskookies

Baker's Cakes said...

These cakes are unreal... or incredibly real! Either way, they're fantastic!!

giovanna said...

unbelievable. soo real.
amazing work

TLC said...

absolutely lovely!

Mar Varela said...

You have amazing hands... wanderful cakes....
A kiss from Spain

Maria_the_Oiler said...

OMGOSH!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE THEM!!! I am so making that rice pot for my hubby's birthday next year, he is a Rice addict, it ain't dinner without the rice! Thats how we were raised in South America, rice, beans and some osrt of dead animal ROFL!!!

faithy said...

OMG! You are incredible! Both the cakes are sooo impressive! The rice cooker and the pot look exactly like the real thing..! Amazingly talented you are!

Pastrychik said...

How fun!! :)

Brandy L said...

WOW! Amazing cake. I love both cakes, they are just absolutely stunning.

SweetThingsTO said...

Hi ladies - thank you so much for your comments. It's so fun to do these types of cakes!

Cakerator - Me too - Grew up with rice every night! You have to make this for your husband!

Chocolate Freckles said...

This is adorable!!! looks amazing!!! I couldn't eat it! too beautiful!!!!

Lot-O-Choc said...

Aw this is great, I love the little bowl with chop sticks n the side too :D.

Coco Cake Land said...

oooh i can relate to the rice cooker cake being chinese and all...! :)

LOVE these. great work as always juanita! :)