Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Elegant Boxes

This past weekend, I was tasked with designing a 40th birthday cake - it had to be unique, elegant, somewhat funky and rich pucci-style colours. I love designing cakes like that - I get a bit of freedom and it is also very challenging.

Here's the final design of 3 decorated boxes with pearl dusted sugarpaste peonies on top of a swirl patterned cake board. All three cakes were lemon butter cake with swiss meringue buttercream.


And now for some extra pictures that I took this weekend... Don't mind the terrible lighting - this is my newly renovated cake studio that has minimal natural light and I refuse to use a flash.

This is a picture of the 3 cake boxes in progress:


A lot of people ask me what I do with the leftover cake. This weekend I had a couple parties to attend, so I cut the leftover lemon cake into squares, put them in a cupcake wrapper, topped it off with some buttercream and a little fondant decoration - it makes a great thing to take along to a party.

6 comments:

andrea said...

wow - gorgeous.

Yvonne said...

Juanita, that's lovely. I like what you do with the leftovers - great idea!

Alavri said...

As usual, great work! Congrats on the BlogTO post on Toronto's Best Custom Cakes!

Anonymous said...

Ah, a blog after my own gastronomical love...wonderful! Would you consider adding it (for free) to the "Best Blogs of the GTA" directory:

http://www.torontocitylife.com/blogs/

Cheers,
Patrick

Frostedbetty said...

I love your peonies!! I wish I knew how to make them their gorgeous :)

Coco Cake Land said...

good god!! your peonies are amazing!!!! really, really cute cake collection!